You can participate in a variety of volunteer activities at Fast Friends. Volunteers are divided into three groups based on their training and experience, with certain activities available only to volunteers with more advanced training. Training and mentoring opportunities will be provided on a regular basis, so you can go as far in the program as you wish.
Each volunteer activity at Fast Friends contributes to the health and well-being of the retired racing greyhounds waiting for their forever homes. While not every activity involves direct contact with the greyhounds, they benefit greatly from all your efforts.
At the Red level, volunteers do not have unsupervised direct contact with the greyhounds; although, you are highly likely to interact with them in common areas, so still need to possess all of the essential capabilities listed above.
Red volunteers may be asked to do any of the following activities:
- Cleaning tasks (sweeping and mopping floors, cleaning windows, etc.)
- Washing dishes
- Doing laundry
- Preparing meals or snacks for the greyhounds
- Gardening and light landscaping (raking leaves, picking up sticks, etc.)
- Picking up “greyhound gold” along the walking trail or elsewhere on the grounds
Prerequisite to become a Red volunteer:
- Complete a volunteer orientation
Volunteers who are interested in going further with their service can become Green volunteers. Green volunteers may interact with the greyhounds while supervised by a staff member or Blue volunteer.
In addition to everything done by Red volunteers, Green volunteers may be asked to:
- Assist at events such as yard sales or fundraisers
- Represent Fast Friends in the community
- Help with mailings or other administrative tasks
Prerequisite to become a Green volunteer:
- Log five or more hours as a Red volunteer
Blue volunteers work directly with the greyhounds without supervision and do a variety of activities requiring a more advanced knowledge of Fast Friends.
In addition to everything done by Green and Red volunteers, Blue volunteers may be asked to:
- Walk and socialize with the greyhounds
- Transport greyhounds, staff, or other volunteers
- Speak or fund raise on behalf of Fast Friends
- Help with the Dog Park
- Mentor other volunteers
Prerequisites to become a Blue volunteer:
- Log five or more hours as a Green volunteer
- Complete a mentor walking session
- Pass a reference check
- Be approved by the Volunteer Coordinator
Click the button above to donate with a credit card or PayPal.
If you would like to donate with a check, please make it payable to "Fast Friends" and send to PO Box 10093, Swanzey, NH 03446.